Tuesday, August 11, 2009

WEI

For about a week now, I have been working my way into the shallow end of my newest project... World English Institute. WEI is an online program that teaches English using passages from the Bible. For those of you who know the LST program, WEI is like LST online. I had been praying for some time that God would send me some way to reach out beyond the borders of the small and saturated area in which I live. When we made the decision not to carry out our plans for a move to Brazil, my desire for outreach to the world was not diminished. I just honestly didn't know what to do or how to do it. I heard about WEI through the illustrious Perry "Maywood Shorts" Taylor, and felt at once that it would be something I would feel at home doing. And I have to say that the program is set up better and more effectively than I dared to dream. When a student takes a test online, the English/static questions are automatically graded, complete with an explanation of the correct answer. The teacher then makes any comments he or she desires and makes remarks on the discussion questions. This is where your effective outreach lies - basic conversation based on what the students have read in Scripture. The other positive is that it does the monotonous work for you, leaving you free to spend your time interacting with your student. The nine students I have so far have been from places I could never go, even if I wanted, and other places I dream of going - places like Libya, Palestine, Egypt, and Brazil, just to name a few. The lessons are beautifully done, not cheesy, and they're modern (not 1950s leftovers). I'm so grateful for this chance to share with others, and so happy that people out there have the vision to use a tool like the internet in such a powerful way.

If you want to check it out, the website is www.worldenglishinstitute.org. There's not a lot out there for the teachers (intentionally), so if you're interested let me know and I can get you in touch with the appropriate person.

1 comment:

  1. I think this might be something I'd be interested in. Sounds like a good way for a stay-at-home mom of 2 to be a missionary :)

    ReplyDelete