Thursday, August 6, 2009

Honesty is the best policy

I'm a big fan of University of North Alabama football, and I'm a big fan of grammar. Unfortunately, the two don't always mix. Below is one of my favorite grammatical atrocities from last year:

This time, I'm sticking with my gut


Published: Thursday, October 23, 2008 at 3:30 a.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 at 11:08 p.m.

Take it from me: always go with your gut instinct.

I learned that the hard way last week. In this very column, I pointed out that UNA, despite playing like national title contenders all season, was due for a letdown at Delta State. I held that opinion for three weeks, but changed my mind at the last minute and went with the Lions.

That was dumb.

UNA did just what I expected. It went into Mississippi and looked like a team that had played three games in 13 days. Delta State won, and I found myself slamming my head into my desk at an alarming rate.

I felt just as strongly that UNA would rebound and destroy defending national champion Valdosta State at home. This time, I'm stinking with my instincts.


I've got to give it to him. At least he's honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment