Monday, August 3, 2009

And so it begins...

You can only look at the screen for so long, wishing something would appear there, before you realize that you might as well just start and be done with it. I'm not positive why the task of "the first post" seems so daunting, but daunting it is. What if I sound too bookish? Not bookish enough? What if this new "hobby" has absolutely no inherent value? What if (perish the thought) there's a misspelled word in the VERY FIRST POST? All melodramatic and yet actual fears.

So, why throw my hat in the blogging ring anyway? Well, hmm. I think that, at least partially, the reasons will reveal themselves as time goes by. While I'm waiting for them, though, I can't help but think of a scene from my favorite movie of all time - You've Got Mail. (Sue me.) Joni Mitchell is singing about wishing she had a river she could skate away on, and Meg Ryan is hanging twinkle lights and popsicle ornaments from a little Charlie Brown tree and reminiscing about her mother and her valuable-but-small life. "So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around?" I still think about that question, and I still am not sure of the answer. In any case, she finishes out by saying, "I don't really want an answer. I just want to send this cosmic question out into the void. So, goodnight, dear void."

I suppose that that is what this blog will be for me. A place to throw out the things my overactive brain wonders. A place to share my somewhat unthought thoughts about the books I'm reading and the people I'm meeting and the places I want my life to take me. (It will likely also be a place to share the quite large collection of "grammatical atrocities" currently shoved into a manila folder in my office desk, but that hardly seems fitting here.) Maybe, somewhere in the void, someone will be interested in what I have to say. Maybe not. Either way is okay. Like Meg says, I don't really want an answer. Just sending it out there is enough.

So, goodnight, dear void.


1 comment:

  1. Love, love, love, love, love, love, love. Your blog is going to kick my blog's butt.

    ReplyDelete