Sunday, November 8, 2009

People Who REALLY Annoy Me

Not trying to be negative or anything, but really... some people just get on my nerves. Here is a partial list (reserving the right, of course, to add to it at any time):

1. "Customer Service" people who refuse to give Customers Service. Last week my car died in the parking lot at McDonald's. (Sad thing was, I wasn't even eating there... long story.) Anywho, Nicole and her mom happened to be just across the street at the mall, but we soon realized that none of us had any jumper cables. So in we go to ask the MickeyD's workers if they might be willing to share. We ask the cashier on duty, who, by the way, was not busy in any form of the word. She turns and screams at all the other workers, each of whom mumble a halfhearted "no, don't got any" in their turn. So the lady turns back to me and says, "I've got some in my trunk." At this point I'm wondering why she felt the need to yelp at the others when she had some all along, but hey, a favor's a favor, right. "Great," we say. Unfortunately, she wasn't done. "Yeah, I've got some in my trunk, but I can't go out and get them, sorry." Seriously? The other customers look at each other in disbelief. We all look at each other in disbelief. We look at her in disbelief. She gives a sort of apologetic smile and turns back to her oh-so-important-guarding-of-the-counter. Now, I used to work at McDonald's. I realize there are rules. I also realize that, in quasi-emergency type situations, the rules are made to be broken. "I'm sorry, sir, but I can't come around the counter to Heimlich that french fry out of your throat. There are rules, you know..." Geez.

2. People who embarrass themselves (and others) with completely irrational statements. Examples are numerous as the sands on the seashore, but I'll go with this one... I have seen one too many facebook statuses in the past couple of days blaming President Obama for the tragedy at Fort Hood. Seriously, people? You don't have to like his politics, you don't have to like anything about him, but really... to imply (or state outright) that he had anything whatever to do with that horror story is absurd. The guy was a Muslim. True. a) Obama is not a Muslim. b) As I told the kids in my class last week, you have to be really careful when throwing out blanket assumptions. "Christians" have bombed many an abortion clinic, but that doesn't mean that those radicals are representative of Christianity as a whole. Let's learn from the plight of Japanese Americans in World War II, and not overreach. Be angry at the individual who committed the crime, and not an entire race of people. Don't let prejudice take root in your heart. Nothing good comes of that.

3. Scrooges who don't like Christmas. This one is thrown in just for good measure... Santa Claus is coming to town, folks, so you might as well enjoy it!

1 comment:

  1. Some of the scrooges out there who don't like Christmas/Santa/etc. surrounding the holiday have done years of study and praying before making the decision to not celebrate it because they are convinced that it may not please God. Sorry it annoys you, but maybe you should walk a mile in the shoes of people who are Christians and have chosen to not celebrate this holiday for religious reasons. We are put down, not just by the world, but by fellow Christians. We are ignored, thought of as stupid, and even told we are not Christians because of what we believe. Santa isn't real. He isn't coming to town, and to say he is is a lie. That alone should red flag it for Christians, after all Satan is the father of all lies.
    I agree with you other statements here. People need to be more helpful to others, and we need to be careful not to cast judgements we aren't certain of on individuals, and we never need to hold an entire group accountable for the actions of a single individual. Yet, I felt compelled to defend the position that I hold that Christians do not need to celebrate the worldly holiday of Christmas. Leah Morris

    ReplyDelete